You have recently started riding your bicycle to work in Indiana. You have found that it allows you flexibility in traveling, it is more efficient than your gas-guzzling vehicle and it allows you to get exercise and enjoy nature. Because you do not feel like fixing your hair every day, you have opted not to wear your helmet the last couple of times. After all, how dangerous is it really, if you are still aware and following all of the rules of the road? Understanding the critical reasons why you should always wear your helmet may help you change your perspective.
When you are looking at purchasing a helmet, it is imperative that you do your research to find an option that fits your head properly and provides maximum protection. A helmet that is too loose may be counterproductive and actually provide little protection in a serious wreck. Once you have made a selection, you should always put your helmet on before you ever get onto your bicycle.
According to Chron, some of the most compelling reasons why you should always wear your helmet include the following"
- It can provide you with protection from inclement weather.
- It is a reliable way to keep your head and brain safe in a fall. In fact, you can reduce your chance of getting a head injury by nearly 50 percent if you are involved in an accident and are wearing a helmet.
- It can be used as safety gear in making you more noticeable if you purchase one that has reflectors.
- It is an effective way to set an example for other people of the importance and functionality of wearing adequate safety gear.
- It can be a fun way to show off your style and creativity.
The information in this article is intended for educational purposes only and should not be taken as legal advice.