Call Now For A Free Consultation 812-590-2213

Questions About Workers' Compensation

If you are seeking compensation after suffering an injury at work, Please contact a Jeffersonville workers' compensation lawyer online today to schedule a free consultation.

Frequently Asked Questions About Workers' Compensation

What should I do if I get injured on the job?

You must notify your employer of the injury. You should also tell your employer if you need medical attention. You may also have to notify Indiana's industrial commission. Under Indiana workers' compensation law, your employer and/or its insurance carrier can choose the physician to attend to you. A workers' compensation lawyer can help you understand the process and your rights in Indiana and also can help you file your claim.

How can I jeopardize my benefits?

Your claim may be denied if you fail to report injuries promptly or fail to cooperate with your employer and authorized treating physician regarding medical evaluations, treatment, rehabilitation services and claim investigation. Your claim can also be denied if you refuse to return to suitable employment. Some other reasons for denial of claims include submittal of fraudulent information, refusal to take a drug test and refusal to submit to a medical examination by the authorized treating physician, at reasonable times.

Under what circumstances could I be denied workers' compensation benefits as a result of an on-the-job injury?

Benefits are not payable if you are injured while engaged in willful misconduct or if your injury is due to the use of alcohol, drugs or the misuse of controlled substances.

Am I barred from recovery if I was at fault?


Can I sue anyone else for a work-related injury?

Yes. This is called a third-party suit. If your injury was caused by the negligence of a third party other than another person who is also an employee of the company for which you work, you may have a right to sue that party.

What is no-fault workers' compensation?

Some states have no-fault insurance programs that give benefits to employees who suffer job-related injury or illness. In such a program, if you are injured on the job, you receive benefits in exchange for agreeing not to pursue civil action against your employer, unless the injury was intentional.

What if my workers' compensation claim is denied?

If your employer and its insurance company deny coverage on the claim, you may file a claim with Indiana's workers' compensation agency. There is a time limitation; all workers' compensation statutes restrict the amount of time you or your dependent has to file a workers' compensation claim, usually between one to three years from the date of injury, depending on the state. If your claim is for a job-related disease, the time limitation period begins when you learn you have the disease.

Can I receive Social Security Disability and workers' compensation?


Is there more than one definition of "disabled"?

Yes, and that is why it is possible to receive both Social Security Disability and workers' compensation. And, workers' compensation could determine you are not disabled and Social Security could determine that you are. Further, insurance companies could define disability in other ways.

Attorneys knowledgeable in this complex area of personal injury law, such as Doane Law Office, can work with you to explain the differences in easy-to-understand language and help you file all appropriate claims to receive the compensation you deserve.

Contact A Jeffersonville Work-Related Injury Lawyer

Please contact us today to learn more about your rights and legal options. For a free consultation, call us at 812-590-2213.

Driving Directions To Our Office

From I-65 North across the Lincoln Bridge to Exit 0, go left at foot of exit ramp, through the stop light and drive directly into Water Tower Square.

Follow I-65 South toward Louisville. Take Exit 1 to merge onto US-31 S toward Stansifer Ave./10th St. Continue on US-31 S. Use the middle lane to take the ramp to 10th St./Court Ave. Turn right on Court Ave. into Water Tower Square.

From US 31 North across the Second Street Bridge to Court Avenue. At the bottom of the ramp turn left into Water Tower Square.