Whenever you take your bike out and ride the busy streets of Indiana, it is never a bad idea to remind yourself of the basic rules of safety. Becoming complacent or too confident with your cycling skills may create a liability if you are faced with a sudden hazard on your ride. Whether you are looking for a brief refresher or you are new to the world of cycling, it is imperative that you are aware of some general safety tips.
Contrary to what some may believe, cycling accidents are not always the fault of motorists. In fact, you could be involved in a violent collision independently, without the interference of other vehicles or obstructions. According to CBS News, here are some important tips to always remember:
- Do not ride your bicycle alone at night. If you have to ride at night, wear reflective clothing and have proper reflective gear on your bike.
- Get your bike fitted properly to your frame and build. A poorly fitted bike could be more of a hazard than anything else.
- Always practice vigilance and be aware of your surroundings to identify hazards before they threaten your safety.
- Do not use headphones or other electronics that could obstruct your hearing or vision.
- Regularly monitor your brakes and other important components to guarantee they are working properly.
- Wear the proper clothing and safety equipment whenever you are on your bike.
The information in this article is intended for educational purposes only and should not be taken as legal advice.