When you are out and about driving around town, chances are your first indication is to pay attention to the other vehicles on the road. By watching what they are doing and being observant to their movement, you are able to navigate safely to your destination. Sometimes, you may become so caught up in watching other cars that you fail to notice other, smaller objects like pedestrians or bicyclists. At Doane Law Office, LLC, we have helped many drivers in Indiana to avoid collisions through awareness and education.
Driving safely around bicyclists requires your full attention. You should never drive distracted or participate in behaviors that may withdraw your attention from the road. Examples of distracted driving include watching other people too intently, eating, conversing with passengers or checking your phone. According to American Tristar Insurance, you can drive more carefully around bicyclists by doing the following things:
- Learn, understand and follow hand signals.
- Give cyclists enough room when you pass. If you are able, switch lanes and go completely around the cyclist.
- Check your mirrors for cyclists coming down the road before you open your car door.
- Learn about the rules that cyclists should follow so you can be educated and prepared.
- Always keep your eyes on the road in front of you. Follow all traffic laws and drive responsibly.
By incorporating these suggestions into your routine, you can confidently drive your car around cyclists and other pedestrians. For more information if you have been injured in a bicycle crash, visit our web page.